The main source of my chaos...

Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 2 - Thankful blog - The Mother-in-law


Day 1 was supposed to be dedicated to my mother-in-law, but I got a little sidetracked with some political crap and had to bump Me-Maw to Day 2.

I know some of you have horrible mother-in-law stories.  And some of you who don’t publicly criticize your MIL would really like to, but you’re too scared.  I am one of the fortunate few who can honestly say I LOVE MY MOTHER-IN-LAW. 

Jackie is the most giving, selfless person I’ve ever met.  She helped me so much when my older kids were little.  Due to health issues, she’s been unable to help with this second batch of kids, but I know she would if she could.  She’s made me more pots of chicken and dumplings than I can ever count.  And Karlie swears that Me-Maw’s macaroni and cheese is so good because she adds extra LOVE to it. 

When she introduces me, she says, “This is my sweet, sweet daughter-in-law.  I don’t know how in the world she puts up with Chris”. I love it when she says that. (Oh, even though I call my husband Willard, his birth name is Chris and his mama will chop you off at the knees if she hears you call him Willard so be careful). 

I love her in spite of the fact that she cut up Chris’ steak until the day we got married, and he expected me to do it post-matrimony.  And the fact that she always cut up his fried eggs and so the first time I put fried eggs on his plate in their normal state, he was confused as to how to eat them.  (I know you think I’m making this up… but could I really make this stuff up?!)

When I gave birth to Hunter, I remember her saying, “You’ve got a big, healthy son.  I’d really like to see y’all stop at one child. There’s nothing wrong with an only child”.  And then I got pregnant with Haley Rae.  Me-Maw says, “Oh, well, congratulations.  I knew you’d probably want to have another one.  Two’s good”.  And, umm, then I got pregnant again.  And then we adopted two more.  And now we’re trying to adopt yet again.  I know Me-Maw thinks we’re NUTS, but she just smiles and loves on our babies. 

Yesterday was her 82nd birthday, so Happy Birthday to Me-Maw.  You’re the best mom, mother-in-law, and grandmother EVER!!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment