The main source of my chaos...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11, 2001


Today is September 11th.  That’s a date that will forever be engraved in our minds as the one of the worst days our country has ever seen.  Definitely the WORST for our generation. 
 
 

We all remember where we were when the towers were hit.  I had dropped Karlie off at preschool and was going by my mom’s for a little while.  The first plane had already hit, and we were watching the “Today” show.  The screen behind Matt Lauer showed a live picture of the tower.  At that point, I don’t think it really crossed anybody’s mind (at least not mine and Matt’s) that this could be a terrorist attack.  I saw the second plane hit the building and it was like a physical blow to me.  I knew exactly what was going on then.  I went back home and was, like the rest of the country, glued to my T.V.  I was on the phone with Willard, asking him if I should pick up the kids early from school… were we in danger? I just didn’t know what to do.  When I saw the tower fall, and it’s hard for me to even describe it as a “fall”, because it basically crumbled right before our eyes, I couldn't even speak.  To this day, I don’t think I’ve ever felt as scared and heartbroken as I was in that moment.

It was a terrible and tragic day for the United States of America, no doubt. 

But you know what? I remember other things about 9/11 too.  I remember that in the days to follow, we became a unified country again.  Maybe it was because most of us felt hopeless being hundreds or thousands of miles away from Ground Zero, but I bet many of you did exactly what I did - you went out and bought a FLAG.  It didn’t matter if you were Democrat or Republican, Christian or non-Christian, rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight… we were all AMERICANS and we loved our country.  It was a time when the National Anthem actually made people tear up and cry.  I don’t EVER, EVER again want to see our country sucker punched like we were back then, but I would like to see a glimpse of the days and weeks that followed.  (plus, let me be honest here, Lee Greenwood got more playing time that he had in years, and that made my heart smile).
I hope you will take a minute today and remember the families of the 9/11 victims, as well as the families who have lost soldiers in the war that was a direct result of 9/11. 
 
I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment