The main source of my chaos...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful blog - Day 15 - FRIENDS!

Today I am thankful for friends. Good friends, bad friends, new friends, old friends, needy friends, supportive friends…

Good friends, as awful as it is to say, are hard to find. To me, a good friend is someone who will tell you if they find out your kid is doing something unacceptable. Someone who will take the time to check on you when they know you’re having a PMS week. Someone you can tell your deepest, darkest secrets and know without a doubt that it will never go any further.

Bad friends are friends who really are friends, but they’re just too busy or distracted to stop and just be a friend. They have great intentions, but life just gets in the way. I’m afraid I’m guilty of being a bad friend to a lot of people. Sorry, guys.

New friends. I love new friends. I get so excited when I talk to someone who I’ve probably know forever but never considered a “friend” and then I realize how much we have in common.

Old friends are my favorites. An old friend is someone you can fall out of contact with for months or longer, but pick right up where you left off and make it seem like you never missed a day. My dear friend, Gala Martin, falls in this category. She doesn’t have a Facebook and I doubt she reads my blog, so I feel totally disconnected with her. But that moment that I pick up the phone and we reconnect, it will be like we just had lunch last week.

Needy friends. Lawd, have mercy. You can never have too many friends, but you CAN have too many needy friends. There have been times in my life that I’ve felt like Dr. Phil. Thank goodness for artificial happiness (i.e. Cymbalta, Prozac, Lexapro). Most my previously needy friends now fall into a different category!

Supportive friends are those who will listen and listen and listen to YOUR problems and complaints but never seem to mind. Whenever you’re in the “moment” and telling your side of the story, they’ll nod and agree with everything you say. Then when the moment passes, they will gently offer their suggestion of how you might have handled things differently, without making it seem like you were wrong in any way whatsoever.

I believe I fit into one of these categories with different friends. I can be a good friend and I can be a bad friend, and I can be all things in between. If you’re reading this and you consider yourself my friend, don’t you wonder what category I put you in? haha! I’ll never tell!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment