The main source of my chaos...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Twitter #idontgetit


Today I would like to talk about my love/hate relationship with Twitter.  I WANT to love it, but I really hate it.  My relationship with Facebook is important to me, and I was hoping to share that same kind of love with Twitter, but I’m starting to think it’s not going to happen.  I think my hatred stems from insecurity, which stems from not understanding it.
What exactly am I supposed to tweet?  I usually have more than 140 characters to say.  Do I cut down my tweet to only say PART of what I want to say?  Or do several tweets in a row that say whatever is on my mind? 

And what exactly are the hash tags for?  I’ll admit, I like them.  I find myself wanting to use hash tags in person, in real life.  It’s like putting a hash tag in front of whatever you are thinking makes it okay and it’s not as offensive.  #badhaircut  #halitosis  #yougetonmynerves
Apparently getting a “retweet” from someone famous is what we are supposed to strive for?  Is this equivalent to getting an autograph?  Or touching a rock star’s hand at a concert?  Or, in my case, like the time in 1984 when Daryl Hall (of Hall and Oats) winked at me.  Seriously.  Kevin Long is my witness.  The most famous retweet I’ve ever gotten was from Talladega Super Speedway.  Hunter even retweeted that his mom got a retweet from TSS.  #winning 
You can probably tell a lot about a person by looking at who they follow on Twitter.  I can’t list them all, but here are a few people I follow. They are either NASCAR-related (Kenny Wallace, Kevin Harvick, Delana Harvick, Trevor Bayne), reality TV-related (Tori Spelling, Dean McDermott, Tribble Reese, Tristan Smith, Devin Grissom, ALL the Kardashians), or inspirational-related (Karen Kingsbury, Priscilla Shirer), plus a few friends and relatives.  Oh, and Lee Greenwood, of course. 
I actually retweeted Khloe Kardashian this morning and wondered “what does this say about me?”
I originally signed up so I could spy on my kids.  They stopped posting much on FB and made the move to Twitter, so I felt like I should sign up to keep an eye on things.  My girls, Haley Rae especially, blow it up.  She would be one of those people I would delete if she wasn’t my kid. 
You've heard people say that they're only staying together for the sake of the kids?  Well, that's where I am right now with Twitter.  I’m going to work at this relationship and see if it can be saved.  For the kids sake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment